Sunday, December 26, 2010

R. Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Gran Reserva Tinto Cosecha de 1991

As I write this, I'm finishing my last shift at work before driving down south for Christmas. Conditions are not great at the moment and I'll be transporting my cat long distance for the first time. I'm going over several checklists in my head, hoping I don't forget anything, fretting about presents and how safe the roads are. Tasting groovy and interesting wines is a welcome comfort.

This looks like mature Burgundy with just a touch of amber/garnet. Remarkably brilliant for its age.

Raisins, dried currants and peanuts with the skins on - the nose is subtle, with cured meats coming through with some coaxing.

The palate is so sensual. Those dried fruits and nuts, cured meats, wild herbs - both fresh and dried. There's orange zest as well, roasted with cinnamon. The acidity is vibrant and provides a structure that is beautiful as it's almost undetectable. Such a great measure of fine wine - everything is in such harmony that you barely notice how it all fits together. It's long on the finish and quite ephemeral. Brilliant.

*****

Tasted 21/12/2010 at Luvians Bottleshop

2 comments:

Pinky said...

Hi, just wanted to invite you to a trade only tasting of Languedoc and Roussillon wines in central London on the 10th Feb. Drop me an email and I'll send you the details.

Best,
Andrew Seabright
www.seabrightandseabright.co.uk
email: andrew (at) domain
twitter: @seabrightwines

gold coins said...

Gold was discovered in Ancient times and used by the ancient South Americans, Asians, Egyptians, Greeks, Romans and Chinese. It is mentioned in the Bible.